It is right there smack on your face. Everyone can see it, and you know it. It is a horrible thing to live with.
Adolescents with severe acne become shy, introverted, and many times do not want their photos taken. When I suffered from it there were a lot of myths about acne. I was told that I should not eat chocolate and that I was not washing my skin often enough. Usually the "information" was coming from some person who was not a dermatologist and just spreading misinformation.
Before we begin discussing how to cure it, it is important to explain that acne is often genetic. It is caused by blocked pores. Puberty causes testosterone to raise in girls and boys, this is one of the causes of acne. Working out also increases testosterone production. You will see weightlifters develop acne.
Understand that if you are a teenager, it is more likely that your acne is caused by hormones and not bad hygiene. Acne begins when oil mixes with layers of dead skin, clogging pores. Sometimes acne is caused by stress. When I was a teenager I had a very stressful life. Anytime something stressful would happen my skin would have a horrible acne breakout. Cells that produce sebum have stress receptors. If your home life is difficult, this may be one of the causes of your acne.
The Cure for Acne
There are many acne treatments out there. I recommend first trying to cure it yourself, by following the steps below. If it does not work, there are cosmetic spas offering many acne treatments, such as laser peels, prescriptions and even photo treatments. There are even outpatient treatments for permanent scars left by acne. (I have a few of those too.) Treating acne should be a holistic approach. This means, you will be treating yourself as a person, not just the acne. If you are healthy, want to be healthy, and pursue a healthy lifestyle your acne will clear up.
Rather than go on with elaborate explanations here is a simple list. Follow each step, everyday, be patient and the acne will clear up.
1. Scrub your skin twice a week with a glycolic based face wash. I make these scrubs, and use them weekly. Leave the face wash on your skin until it becomes too uncomfortable. Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
2. Do not sleep with your face planted in the bed-sheets.
3. Try not to touch your face during the day. Wash your hands often. Keep your cell phone clean.
4. Drink water regularly. The water will help your cells perform their metabolic functions, which will help your skin. Stay hydrated.
5. Do yoga for 20 minutes per day. This reduces stress.
6. Eat seafood, berries, and plain yogurt. Those are skin super foods.
7. What every skin care products you use, be consistent with them. Products do work, be patient.
8. I recommend one vitamin C mask per week.